Deb and I did some wandering over the past 14 years: New Cumberland; Raleigh; Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, SC; Summerfield and Hudson, FL; Portland; Bainbridge Island, WA; Orient Beach, St. Martin; Montpellier, France; and now Alicante, Spain. We sold homes, gave away furniture and cars, downsized and lived out of backpacks and suitcases. Currently we're in Alicante, Spain, where we plan to settle (for awhile). I poked this long-dormant blog awake so I could chronicle our attempts to learn to live in a foreign land. Let's see what happens.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Lizards and donkeys and goats



Before we started the hike toward Pic Paradis the other day, I asked about snakes. Apparently (if the kindly woman who stood to make 5€ if I took the hike wasn’t kidding me), St. Martin is snake free.

Which doesn’t mean that there are not other dangerous critters wandering loose on what the tourist board would have you believe is a carefree paradise.


Goats: Across the parking lot from our condo balcony lies a body of water called Étang de Chevris (which, unless my French is mistaken, means Dangerous Infestation of Goat Gangs). We see them loitering about the pond, clambering on rocks that line the road, and hiding in the shadows of parked cars. Very intimidating!

Snails: Not the delicious, escargot variety whose native habitat is a shallow bowl of garlic sauce, no, these are the huge ones that sneak up on you very, very slowly and then —whoop! — there they are, just sitting there, laughing their silent snail laughs. Very sly!

Donkeys: There are a pair of them who wander about Mont Vernon. They gambol (that’s right, they gambol! Frolic, too!) in the garden beneath our balcony. They stroll along the winding sidewalks and they lurk behind bushes leading to the pool. I suspect that they are in cahoots with the goats, perhaps planning a takeover of the resort. Very shifty!

Lizards: Here on the main island, we’ve only seen little, scurrying ones scooting about the edges of the tennis courts. But over on Pinel Island (a 15-minute ferry ride away) they grow to King-Kong proportions. Big and fierce enough to eat a goat, they gather near the restaurants where they strong-arm treats from the tourists and strike intimidating poses.


And I don’t want to even get into the size of the butterflies down here.

9 comments:

  1. Truly dangerous critters. LOL!

    I just finished Imhotep. A truly unique perspective on who Imhotep was. All of the necessary characters are well-designed. I especially like the fact that you used the Ancient Egyptian names for places instead of the Greek ones.

    I left a review on Amazon.com saying basically the same thing. I am reading The Forest of Myrrh now. Thank so much for a truly remarkable series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juanita,

      Thank you for the kind note (and the review). I enjoyed researching,imagining and writing the Imhotep series.

      I am in the midst of another book set in ancient Egypt. If I can shake off my fear of being chased by snails, I should be able to get it done later this summer.

      Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. I just finished Imhotep and have started the second book in the series. I was looking for an audio version so I could keep at your book while at work and imagine my surprise when I see you're from Camp Hill! I'm a Boston girl now but I'm from Hershey! Now I'm even more intrigued and invested in the books. :-) Congrats on your success and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, Stephani
      I want to let you know about my next novel and how you can be part of it.
      I’m experimenting with the idea of readers having an active role in the writing of “Suti and the Lost Labyrinth,” a novel set in ancient Egypt. What I’m trying to do is sort of a combination of old-fashioned serialization and crowd sourcing. (Don’t worry, there are no essay assignments.)
      If you want to see what I’m talking about, please wander over to Patreon and check it out. There’s a 2-minute video that explains everything. And there are some sample posts and information about how you can be part of this experiment.
      Here’s a link to the page. https://www.patreon.com/JerryDubs
      I hope you check it out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie, Thanks for reading (or listening to) Imhotep. The narrator for Imhotep did a fabulous job. After figuring out how to pronounce all those Egyptians names, I think he needed a break from my books. So, at this point, there aren't any more audio books in the works. Hershey! After my wife and I sold our Camp Hill home we moved to an apartment in Hummelstown for a year or so. We were almost neighbors! Hope you enjoy The Buried Pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey
    Nice and interesting information and informative too. Thanks for sharing.
    Insurance Companies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ehmm, nice blog i really like your blog post keep it up..

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    Auto Insurance At Lower Cost

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jerry,

    I saw “Imhotep” on BookBub and wonder if you have plans for an audiobook version. I'm an audiobook producer and would love to talk with you about making this happen if you're interested. You can listen to some demos and learn more about me at www.danielgreenberg.org. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

    In community,
    - Daniel

    Daniel Greenberg, Ph.D.
    The Voice of Community
    http://www.danielgreenberg.org
    audiobooks@danielgreenberg.org

    ReplyDelete