Deb and I did some wandering over the past 14 years: New Cumberland; Raleigh; Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, SC; Summerfield and Hudson, FL; Portland; Bainbridge Island, WA; Orient Beach, St. Martin; Montpellier, France; and now Alicante, Spain. We sold homes, gave away furniture and cars, downsized and lived out of backpacks and suitcases. Currently we're in Alicante, Spain, where we plan to settle (for awhile). I poked this long-dormant blog awake so I could chronicle our attempts to learn to live in a foreign land. Let's see what happens.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

It's how I roll

I almost wiped out a hotdog vendor in St. Petersburg.

Assigned to bring up the rear of our Segway tour, I was closing in on double-digit miles-per-hour as I ripped across Bayshore Drive at Second Avenue (which used to lead out to the inverted pyramid on the Pier). My right wheel caught the curb as I zipped up the ramp from the street to the sidewalk.

Here’s how I remember it: The Segway canted over a dangerous two or three degrees, creating a tidal-wave-disturbance to my equilibrium. Much like Captain Ahab battling Moby Dick, I fought for control of the runaway Segway. Throwing my weight to the side, hands gripping the handlebars, helmet knocked askew from the force of hurricane winds generated by my reckless speed, I brought the beast that was my Segway under control just as I was closing in on a hotdog vendor who was sitting on a lawn chair oblivious of the Segway that was bearing down on him.

Catastrophe averted, I nodded at the man – who was unaware of how close he come to being the bottom half of a Segway sandwich – and leaned forward to catch up with the rest of the tour group.

But two-wheeled danger isn’t the topic today.

Deb and I are getting ready to hit the road.

This year-long stay along the Gulf Coast has been lovely. The view, the nearness of St. Pete and Tampa, the handy tennis courts … all have been wonderful. I got a lot of writing done. We frequented the Dali Museum. And we soaked up the beauty of our lagoon.

But we’re getting itchy to get moving.

We’ve mapped out a much more active year … a month in Myrtle Beach with visits to Raleigh and Pennsylvania … three months in St. Martin … three months in Portland and then back to Raleigh for the holidays.

We’re planning to use the St. Martin trip as fodder for the first of a series of travel guides for wintering overseas. Something like “Snowbirding Abroad … Three months in St. Martin.” Then “Three months in the south of Spain” or “Three months in Malta.” Someplace warm. Any place warm. Maybe Uruguay, who knows?

Any place with Segways.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete