Deb and I did some wandering over the past 14 years: New Cumberland; Raleigh; Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, SC; Summerfield and Hudson, FL; Portland; Bainbridge Island, WA; Orient Beach, St. Martin; Montpellier, France; and now Alicante, Spain. We sold homes, gave away furniture and cars, downsized and lived out of backpacks and suitcases. Currently we're in Alicante, Spain, where we plan to settle (for awhile). I poked this long-dormant blog awake so I could chronicle our attempts to learn to live in a foreign land. Let's see what happens.

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Chasing the sun

Looking north on Orient Beach toward Mont Vernon
Let me explain it this way:
Hudson, Fl.: 49°     Myrtle Beach, SC: 37°     Orient Bay, St. Martin: 77°

Those are the temperatures as I write this blog entry (8 a.m. on Feb. 6).

We are in St. Martin.

A few years ago Deb and I created a weather chart. Along the left side we listed places family members lived and places we wanted to explore. Across the top we listed the 12 months. Then we filled in the average high for each month for each place.

Our goal was to be near family and be warm.

Our year in Hudson, Florida, met the last criteria (except for a few unseasonably cold days). Myrtle Beach got us closer to part of the family, but we spent the month indoors. Which was nice but there was no tennis play, no warming walks along the beach.

So now we are trying a winter in St. Martin, where we are assured the kind of weather we want. We are living along Orient Beach in a condo where there are tennis courts.


We are able to walk 10 minutes south along the beach to Coco Beach Restaurant (above). Another 10 minutes gets us to Orient Village, where there are more restaurants, a well-stocked convenience store and a wonderful French bakery.

We’ve barely settled in, yet this feels like an extremely comfortable fit.

Some details: We spent January (very off-season) at the Camelot resort in Myrtle Beach. We paid $790 for the month. We had access to the indoor pool, indoor lazy river, indoor Jacuzzi, and fitness center. There was an onsite laundromat ($2 for a load of wash, $1.50 for a spin in the dryer). There were very few restaurants open in town and Broadway at the Beach was deserted (although we did play miniature golf there with our granddaughter).

I’ll get to the details about our 3-month stay in St. Martin in the next posting.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Jerry. Hope you are still enjoying St Martin. I visited from a cruise ship once. Brief visit of course.
    Just finished the last of your Imhotep books. I really really enjoyed them. You bring everything alive. Absolutely fascinating. I can't help wondering if Thutmose III found out anything about Menwi. I think I saw you're writing a follow up book on him so maybe I'll find out.
    Many thanks for your "can't put down" books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to be anonymous! My name is Freda Brown from Seaham in County Durham, England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your picture, I can't help wondering if you and Tim Hope have a lot in common.
    I know that's something most authors do, especially in their first novel.

    ReplyDelete